EASTERN ORTHODOXY & ROMAN CATHOLICISM
So sorry I have not completed this interesting section yet. The list of differences is truly massive between Orthodoxy and Catholicism.
important: Get to know the Orthodox word "Theologoumena" it is their great get out clause, and an aid to mystification of doctrine, so they do not need to answer for all the contradictions in their beliefs.
1) Pope - Head of Church
2) Pope - Infallible
3) St Peter's successors all totally different from Orthodoxy.
3) Change the 10 Commandments
4) Filioque - accept
5) Hell - is physical Lake of Fire
6) Purgatory - accept
7) Limbo - accept
8) Divorce and remarriage - forbidden
9) Priestly power in transubstantiation
11) Marriage vows
12) Orthodox Titular Head - den
13) Saint Andrew was the first Byzantium Bishop - denied, deny root of Titular Heads power.
13) Mass - in Latin (changed)
14) Catholicism - the one true Church
15) Infant Sprinkling
16) Chrismation - not an independent sacrament
17) Confirmation - for full church member
18) Original sin nature
19) Canon of scripture - extra Old Testament Books
1) Pope - has never been Head of the Church
2) Pope - is a heretic
3) 3) St Peter's successors all totally different from Roman Catholicism.
3) Do not change the 10 Commandments
4) Filioque - deny
5) Hell - spiritual torment only
6) Purgatory - deny
7) Limbo - deny
8) Divorce and remarriage - allowed
9) Epiklesis - Deny priestly power
11) No marriage vows
12) Orthodox Titular Head - accept
13) Saint Andrew was the first Byzantium Bishop - thus their Titular Head derives his power from him.
13) Divine Liturgy - in Greek (changed)
14) Orthodoxy - the one true church
15) Triple infant baptism
16) Christmation made a sacrament
17) Full church member at baptism (plus godparent guides) (catechumen for converts only)
18) Original sin nature - deny (semi-Peliaian "ancestral sin" doctrine)
19) Canon of scripture - even more extra Old Testament Books
20) Bible - from Latin (changed)
21) Calendar - Gregorian as "part of the Faith"
22) Communion bread - wafer, unleavened
23) communion wine - fermented
24) New Year - January 1st
25) Liturgical New Year - 1st Sunday of Advent (1 - 2 December)
26) Fish Head mitre (origin - Dagon?)
27) Christmas - 25th December
29) The "Great Fathers" - Ambrose, Jerome, Augustine, Gregory the Great
30) Male only clergy
31) Catholic church is infallible
32) Orthodox church is wrong so not infallible
33) Systematic Theology
34) Doctrinal Development
35) No doctrine on God having "energies and essence"
36) Jesus died to remove the offence of Adam
37) Fast on Good Friday..
38) Idols usually statues..
39) Dogma - Usually clear doctrine.
2) Marriage / Divorce
3) Priestly Powers
4) Pope Head of Church
5) Infant sprinkling
7) Ancestral sin vs. Original sin
8) No actual fire Hell
20) Bible - all Greek, OT from Greek34
21) Calendar - Julian & Gregorian (divided) Julian false gods calendar as "part of the Faith"
22) Communion bread - leavened
23) communion wine - fermented, water added, given to babies.
24) New Year - January 14 (divided over this)
25) Liturgical New Year - September 1
26) Turban mitre (origin - Eastern / Oriental turban)
27) Christmas 4th January (divided over this)
28) Prayer rope
29) The "Great Fathers" - Basil the Great, Gregory of Nazianzus, John Chrysostom (& Athanasius)
30) Some female clergy
31) Catholic church is wrong so not infallible
32) Orthodox church is infallible
33) Discursive Theology
34) The first church was identical in doctrine to Orthodoxy.
35) That God has energies and essence
36) Jesus died a ransom sacrifice
37) Fast not far off half the days in every year!
38) Idols almost exclusively paintings
39) Theologoumena - unclear doctrine. (they invented a special word to remain in the fog)
7) Mary never died vs falling asleep (Assumption or Dormition)
8) Mary floated up to heaven (the assumption)
8) Mary never had original sin
9) Mary never sinned (then why call God her Saviour)
10) Mary's mother - Catholicism
11) the conception of Christ (using or not using an ovum with original sin - various issues)
LIST OF DIFFERENT CATHOLICS SECTS:
LIST OF DIFFERENT TYPES OF ORTHODOXY: